Android CraftAR Augmented Reality SDK
How to get started with the Android Augmented Reality SDK
In order to get started with the SDK, we recommend you to run the examples included in the distribution that you can download upon request (see button above). The examples are located in the Examples directory as an Android Studio Project.
Running the examples
Follow this tutorial for instructions on how to integrate the Android Augmented Reality SDK into your Android projects.
To build the project or use the library, you will need Google’s Android Studio 2.2 or newer and a device with Android 3.0 or newer.
Class Reference Documentation
Follow this link to browse through the classes of the Android Augmented Reality SDK.
March 5th, 2018
- Fixed: (Augmented Reality) On-device bundles now download the contents of the AR Items on the device when synchronizing the collection.
- Fixed: (Augmented Reality) Error in 3D model caching (for Cloud AR items) that forced download of textures every time.
December 15th, 2017
- Fixed: (Augmented Reality) Fixed setting the translation and rotation properties of an ARItem when the “drawing off tracking” feature is active.
November 7th, 2017
- Changed: (Augmented Reality) New performance and quality improvements to our core tracking technology.
- Added: (Augmented Reality) Allow to disable automatic AR content creation.
- Added: (Augmented Reality) New method to control the maximum number of AR items that can be tracked simultaneously.
- Added: (Common) Added the “Take picture” feature.
- Added: (Common) New CraftARActivityCompat allows to use fragments with AppCompatActivity.
- Fixed: (Augmented Reality) Fixed the toggle full screen feature on AR video contents (Android only).
- Fixed: (Augmented Reality) Fixed infrequent crash on trackingStarted and trackingLost events.
- Fixed: (Cloud Recognition) Prevent searches from producing results after stopFinder has been called.
August 17th, 2017
- Fixed: (Common) Changed native builds to fix crashes on devices with Android 6 (6.0 – 6.0.1) installed.
- Fixed: (Common) Fixed problems running on x86 devices.
- Fixed: (Camera) Fixed error opening the camera on some devices.
- Fixed: (Image Recognition) Fixed potential crashes if callback handlers are set to null.
- Fixed: (Augmented Reality) Fixed touch events on videos with the transparency mask property set.
July 12th, 2017
- New: (Augmented Reality) This version of the SDK includes a new improved version of our tracking technology.
- New: (Augmented Reality) Now you can add items to the tracking before the camera capture is started.
- New: (Augmented Reality) Now you can directly load all AR items from an on-device collection to the Tracking at once.
- Removed: (Common) Use of Apache HTTP libs.
- Changed: (Augmented Reality) Performance improvements in the rendering of camera frames and AR contents.
- Fixed: (Camera) Fixed errors with autofocus with some devices (e.g. Galaxy S8).
- Fixed: (Camera) Fixed camera appearing distorted for some devices.
December 15th, 2016
- Added: (Camera) New methods to change the size of the picture when calling takePicture or singleShotSearch (getSupportedPictureSizes() and setPictureSizes()).
- Fixed: (Camera) Crash when starting the camera in some cases.
- Fixed: (Camera) Single shot search failed in some devices because the picture size was not properly set up.
- Fixed: (Cloud Image Recognition) Bounding boxes were incorrect in responses from the Cloud Recognition.
- Fixed: (Cloud Image Recognition) Fix problem requesting custom data embedded.
- Fixed: (On-device Collections) Prevent crash and notify when the a null token is passed to the CollectionManager.
- Fixed:(AR) Maintain the last rotation and translation when the tracking is lost.
August 31st, 2016
- New: Support for arm64 and x86 architectures (Note: the SDK is heavier, you can remove native folders or distribute them separately on Google Play).
- Changed: Update included library that produced lots of warnings
- Fixed: Crash on some devices caused by the processing of the camera frames.
- Fixed: Network issues on Android < 4.4 if TLS 1.0 is not supported by the remote servers.
- Fixed: Add missing methods to set the rotation and translation of an AR item when rendering off-tracking.
March 18th, 2016
- Advanced On-device collection synchronization (it only downloads resources for the items that have changed or are new)
- Added method to check on the device how good an image is for AR
- Fixed freeze issue when restarting the camera
- Fixed error where AR items did not load when installing app in SD Card.
January 15th 2016
- Request bounding boxes by default in cloud-recognition
- Return image recognition score as an integer instead of a float
- Return appropiate network error codes when network request fail (CraftARNetworkError)
- Functions to add/remove contents from a CraftARItemAR
- CraftARTracking.addItem() function returns now an error instead of throwing an exception.
- Fix issue with video contents not stopped when ‘stopTracking’ was called
- Fix contentLoadFinzalized getting called twice in video contents
- Fix issue in Cloud recognition, that was calling at the same time searchResults() and searchFailed() under some conditions
- Fix invalid preview orientation on some tablet devices
December 17th 2015
- Improve re-scaling for large pictures
- Fixes preview orientation issue on Nexus 5x
- Add support to use the flashlight in the camera class
November 20th 2015
- Fixed: crash on devices with Android < 4.2
October 30th 2015
- Completely new SDK architecture
- Improved: 2D tracking for most conditions
- Added: on-device Augmented Reality
- Added: HD capture
- Added: take screenshots of the AR scene
- Added: start tracking until something is detected or until a timeout is over
- Fixed: several bug fixes
- Fixed: preview orientation in tablet devices.
- Fixed: content resources not being released for individual content removal.
- Fixed: camera issues with some devices.
- Fixed: rendering captured frames in some devices.
- Fixed: Prevent crash when opening camera and camera is already open.
December 1st 2014
- The SDK package is now com.craftar
- The SDK classes are now called CraftARxxx
- The CloudRecognitionItem class is now called CraftARItem
- Improved: Faster recognition by using https://my.craftar.net (points to the geographically closest server)
- Added: off-tracking content rendering capabilities
- Fixed: bugs for Android 5.0 (L)
- Fixed: alpha rendering for contents
- Fixed: general stability
September 3rd 2014
- Added: support for User Interface rotation.
August 12th 2014
- Added: support for 3D models.
- Added: support for video transparency using the transparency_mask flag in the video contents
- Fixed: crash when extending contents
- Fixed: issues in content rendering and tracking
June 19th 2014
- Camera preview:
- Fixed: stability when sending activity to background and opening it back.
- Improved: camera capture frame rate.
- Video contents:
- Fixed: stability when sending activity to background and opening it back.
- Improved: video load and video playback performance.
- Minimum API level support changed to HONEYCOMB+ (Android 3.0+ – API level 11+)
- Updated: SSL library
Learn more about these changes in our blog.
May 13th 2014
- Improved: stability and performance
- Fixed: issues detected for some devices with the camera preview
March 25, 2014
- New: includes Augmented Reality functionalities in combination with the CraftAR Cloud Service. You can read more about this realease in our Releases Blog: CraftAR is now for Android.
October 2, 2013
The first public version of the Android SDK focuses mainly on our Cloud Image Recognition functionalities.
Learn more about the launch of the SDK in our Releases Blog: Extra, Extra, Read All About our New SDK.