Overview of Release 22.02.002
Release 22.02.002of CareAR Assist delivers the following:
- Support for data sovereignty in Europe and Canada
- A minor UX enhancement of the desktop applications
As CareAR expands its go-to-market and business activities outside of the U.S., prospects and customers in some countries and verticals are increasingly requiring support of data sovereignty. Data sovereignty deals with the physical storage of user and usage data within the confines of a physical geographic area.
Release 22.02.002 provides architectural support of data sovereignty for CareAR customers and is limited to CareAR Assist. Prior to this release, all user and usage data resides physically in the U.S.
With this release, we introduce two additional regions of operation: Europe and Canada.
More specifically, the location of customer’s permanent storage of data containing Personally Identifiable Information (PII), excluding the user’s email address, related to users and to usage information may be designated to be one of the following regions:
- United States (Multi-region US)
- Germany (Database located in Europe-West3 and backup located in Europe multi-region for redundancy)
- Canada (Northamerica-Northeast1)
User Mapping and Authentication
With our support for data sovereignty, as part of the user’s initial login sequence, we query our location database to determine which region the user is assigned to. The location database entry is 1) the user’s email address and 2) the region the user’s tenant is bound. If unspecified, the default location is the US.
Once the region for the tenant is determined, all subsequent interactions by the user (while logged in) are directed to the service logic executing in that region. Today the authentication of the user is performed using a global authentication service.
The architecture design is extensible, allowing expansion into other regions and countries, providing the necessary cloud services are present in that region or country.
CareAR Assist customers in Europe and in Canada now have the option to implement their tenant (i.e., business account) in a region outside of the United States.
Customers requesting their tenant be implemented Canada or Germany will need to contact the CareAR Technical Support operations team for assistance.
Note the following:
- The email of all users and their associated region (i.e., the “cluster”) is maintained in a global auth service that is served out of the U.S. All other data relating to that user is maintained in the designated region.
- All PII has been removed from the realtime database (RTDB). The realtime database is used only during an actual Assist session; once the session is completed, usage data relating to the session is copied to the storage associated with the tenant’s region.
- The realtime database for the German region is located in Belgium.
- The realtime database for the Canada region is located in the United States.
UX Enhancement to Desktop Application
With this release, we allow users of the desktop application greater flexibility to minimize the window size of the application.
Users who host sessions using a laptop or other constrained display can use the app with much smaller overall dimension.
No configuration or activation is required.